Monday, January 20, 2014

Culture Shock



Our first Saturday after we arrived, the school took us on a trip to Chester, England. We were able to explore the town on our own including the Chester Cathedral, water front, and wall that surrounded the town. The trip gave me a better idea about what to expect during my travels through Europe. The first week was full of orientation, registration, and relaxation. As much as our week was planned out, we had a lot of down time which helped me digest the fact that I am actually here. Fast-forward to the end of week one, we were able to go on another trip to Liverpool.





Liverpool was just as incredible as Chester and seeing as it only cost 4.85 pounds, it can make for an easy day trip, getting you there in around 35 minutes. The accessibility of neighboring towns and cities is a big reason why I have fallen in love with this place. 

Fast-forward to Sunday night, I am getting more nervous about classes and the start of my semester. Orientation week felt like a summer camp and I feel like I should be packing my bags and saying my goodbyes. Instead, I am buying school supplies, figuring out where my classes are, and trying to get into my routine. Anticipation of the unknown is making my head go crazy at times but I stay focused on the good things, such as the delicious strawberries I got from the market in Ormskirk.

So far, the biggest hurtle I have faced is the culture shock. I initially entered into this experience thinking it would not be as difficult because everyone spoke the same language and things seemed to be rather similar to the United States. However, that has not been the case. I feel like people stare when I wear my sweatpants or simply open my mouth to talk. I have never been in the position of being the "outsider" and didn't realize the struggles that come with it. However, nearly everyone I have met is extremely curious when they find out I am American. It's actually kind of funny because as they freak out about my "accent", I have yet to get over theirs. I absolutely love the accents but I never realized how difficult it can be to understand people at times. 

Every day I come across a new and challenging experience that only adds to my ability to adapt to my surroundings. I cannot wait to start classes this week and truly start to experience being a student at this incredible university.