Monday, January 6, 2014

The Countdown


I leave in about three days, two hours, 16 minutes, and some odd number of seconds. Above, is what I have "ready". I use that term loosely because my new suitcases that I got are still in their wrapping from Macy's. In fact, they haven't moved since I brought them here weeks ago. I'm not sure if this is my attempt at preserving normalcy or pure laziness, but either way I am leaving in three days, two hours, 13 minutes, and some odd number of seconds. 

I mistakenly assumed once I turned in my Study Abroad application I would be set to go. I never really understood the pressure and amount of work it takes to go before you're even there. No one really talks about the before part, rightly so, because it's about the experience while you're there. However, the before part has been draining, time consuming and far from memorable. At this point, I wouldn't mind just throwing three weeks of clothes into my bags and calling it good. Between working over break and wanting to spend every waking minute with family and friends I have lost time and energy. My best advice I can give and have learned from this experience thus far is just let it happen. For most of my life, I have been the type of person who follows a schedule and plans things out. However, I feel like the minute I get to the airport, any plans I had or schedules I wanted to follow will be gone. The best thing to do at that point is to let it happen. Things will go wrong, mistakes will be made, but at the end of day this experience will teach me more about myself than I could ever imagine. 

So for now, I will keep staring at those suitcases in hopes that I actually get the motivation to start packing because I leave in three days, two hours, 5 minutes, and some odd number of seconds.