Monday, January 13, 2014

Welcome to Edge Hill University



As I sit here trying to figure out how to explain these past couple of days, I can't seem to find anything that is fitting. Words like crazy, exciting, wonderful and plug socket come to mind. Within the first 48 hours, I learned that outlets are actually called plug sockets here and chicken patties are called burgers? It took me until day 3 to understand how to pronounce where I lived. For this reason, I made sure I knew how to get back to my dorm whenever I stepped out because it would be useless to ask for help if I couldn't tell someone where I lived. For the record, it's Lady Openshaw. 
The everyday culture shocks make this beautiful town, school, country, and experience that much more crazy, exciting, and wonderful. 
Prior to my departure from the States, I could have handed you a phone book of worries I had. With each step along the way, I decided to just go with it and worry about the things I could control and ditch the rest. The flights were on time and aside from the bumpy flight to Atlanta, everything went smoothly. 
I still sit here and I feel like I'm on a week long trip to Washington or something. It's just surreal and I am loving every minute of it. It's not until I start to go to bed and can hear my British neighbor talking that I am reminded just how lucky I am to be here and go through this experience. Nothing will ever be as bad as you play it to be in your head. Everything is different but at the end of the day just remember to appreciate the differences and embrace the fact that you will make a fool out of yourself, but learn to love it.