Monday, January 27, 2014

Putting it into Context

This past week has been eye opening on so many different levels. For starters, I had the opportunity to shoot the men's rugby game, start classes, and travel to York, England.
On Tuesday, there was a fair in the Hub (I can best describe this as a student information/cafe/hangout area) for all the societies. I knew I wanted to get involved in as much as I could so I walked around to each booth and ended up signing up for a bunch of different societies. Coming into this experience, I wanted to push my comfort zone and get involved in activities I wouldn't normally or couldn't normally do. Therefore, I signed up for the Edge Hill Climbing and Mountaineering Society and VibeMedia (the student publication). Having minimal knowledge of climbing, this experience should definitely be new and exciting and I cannot wait to begin it. 
Already, I was able to shoot the men's rugby game the next day. Majoring in photojournalism, this opportunity was amazing. Not only did I get to keep in touch with my photography, but I'd like to think I learned more about the game. I felt at home when I was at the game. Photography is such a normality and I truly got to escape into it in an authentic setting. Looking back at this week, I can finally say I feel more connected to the culture and university and it makes me incredibly excited for the future. 

Moving forward to classes, I was completely overwhelmed to begin because I had absolutely no idea what to expect. When I first got to Central, I was apprehensive to start class but knowing that I was still in Michigan somehow eased my worries. The fact that I had no idea where my classes were only heightened my anxiety. Turns out, as usual, everything was fine. I asked when I didn't know, and I continued to breath (my new motto). I attended lectures for a couple hours and then the class was split into smaller groups called seminars. In both seminars the professor pointed out who the American's were; I was the zebra in what felt like a herd of lions.
And finally, the trip to York. Much like Chester, York was a beautiful English city about an hour and a half northeast of Ormskirk. Erica, Leah, and Erika (my three international friends) took a two hour walking tour of York and visited the York Minster (cathedral).  It was absolutely mind blowing to hear the historical value of the place, much of which I learned in high school and college but never thought I would actually put into context. That right there is why I can't wait to continue this experience. There is so much in life that I have learned and studied and dreamed of, but now I am finally getting the chance to learn first hand and it's completely overwhelming. The good kind though, the kind that makes you realize how great life can be.