Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Making Connections

This next week, I turn my focus to my studies as the semester picks up.

The biggest and most challenging aspect of school for me has been the difference in teaching styles. Back home, I took many geography courses which focused on scientific data and analysis. Whereas here, my geography course and others rely heavily on relating the information to real world situations. It is a much different atmosphere and mindset which allows me to really connect to the country and it's cultures. The teaching style has really helped me open my mind to making connections between what I learn and what I experience.

As I returned from my adventure to Edinburgh this past weekend, I couldn't help but reflect on my past month here. I have my good days as well as my bad days just like at home which comforts me to some extent. The more I travel, the more I can't wait to be back at Edge Hill, in my room in Lady Openshaw, eating at the Hub. Life at university is so simple compared to the hours spent on a train, the days in a hostel, and trying to soak in every city and attraction in a short weekend. I never thought my temporary home in another country would feel so comforting. Prior to my departure from the States, Michigan was my home; my relief and safety. In a little over a month, Edge Hill has taken over that roll.