Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Opportunities

I continue to learn more and more each day, about myself and about this experience. To think that less than a month ago I was nervous to hop on a plane and go somewhere I had no clue about is crazy considering I just returned from my weekend trip to Ireland. Even reading this sounds so foreign to me. Back home I couldn't catch a flight for under $100 to a different country. I think that's what I love so much about this place. The opportunity is right at your doorstep, you just have to grab it.


I have also learned the importance of friends. I have met so many incredible people in this short time. However, I have really connected with three other international students from the states, which just goes to show you how close you actually are to meeting new people. I always had this idea that you had to physically leave the states to meet people from very different cultures, ideas, and beliefs.  This sounds absolutely ridiculous, I know, but it wasn't until I met Erica, Leah and Erika that I realized the importance of appreciating home a little more. I think this hit me when we were walking through York when Erica and I (both from Michigan) saw a giant hill and immediately thought how great that would be to go sledding down, while Erika and Leah (both from the south) thought it looked very green. Simple differences like this shocked me because I never truly realized how different our perspectives could be when we live less than 900 miles away. I think I always knew, but the firsthand experience is eye opening. I am so glad I have made lasting friendships with these girls. It is making this process so memorable.